5 Things You Need To Know Before You Rent*
Renting for the first time can be very daunting, but very exciting. I was lucky enough to live with Debz for two years which we named "The Fat Flat". I hold lots of fun memories from my first time renting. Today I thought I would share with you some things you need to know before you rent a home.
1. Before you sign your contract, make sure your Landlord is part of the Tenants Deposit Scheme. All Landlords have a legally obliged to protect their tenants deposits. They must tell tenants of which scheme they’re using within 14 days or else they will face a fine.
2. Bills sucks, one thing I found hard when I moved out for the first time was sorting out bills. Gas / ElectricIty, TV licence, Broadband, Water, Council tax etc. There are so many bills to pay out check with your Landlord as sometimes these are sometimes included in the rent.
3. You'll need Contents insurance. If you get broken in to and your stuff stolen, your Landlord is only responsible for insuring the building. The Contents Insurance is down to you! I know looking into insurance can be rather stressful with alot of jargon and need to know the value of your possessions. Luckily there are companies around like HomeLet who specialist in insurance for tenants and landlords.
HomeLet have put together a handy infographic with some great advice for both Tenants and Landlords.
4. You should definitely get an Inventory done. If your Landlord does not offer this, make one on the day you move in. Make note of everything and take pictures of any damage, this way you will not have to fork out for anything at the end of your tenancy.
5. Talking of end of tenancy, when you think it is time to move on. You should definitely do an end of Tenancy Clean. End of tenancy cleaning is important for receiving your full deposit, landlords can ask the same level of cleansliness on vacating the tenancy as it was documented in the inventory report. You can do this yourself, however personally I would get it done professional. Not only will this free up time for you to get other things done, you will also have written proof that a clean has taken place.
i hope that you find my tips helpful, what tips would you share with your friends and family?